Meal Charge Procedure

2019/2020 Student Meal Charge Policy

We ask parents and guardians to assure money is deposited regularly on their student’s meal account. It is the Parents/Guardians responsibility to regularly check on their students account balances. This can be done through Parent Portal on the district website ( or through your student’s school secretary. Cash and check payments are accepted at your student's school. Credit cards are accepted online via parent portal.

When a student’s account falls below $5.00, the Nutrition Department will send out an automated courtesy call reminding the parent or guardian the account balance is getting low and to please make a deposit. This communication will help to alleviate any negative balances.

An automated phone message will be placed to the household when a student reaches a negative balance, letting the parents or guardian know that a deposit needs to be made. Pre-school and Elementary students with a negative balance will be given a negative balance letter to take home,  at the end of each week, so the students meal accounts can be paid.




1.      Elementary Schools: *Students may incur meal charges up to the equivalent of three (3) meals.


2.      Middle Schools: * Students may incur meal charges up to the equivalent of three (3) meals.


3.      High Schools: *Students may incur meal charges up to the equivalent of three (3) meals.


4.      Charges are not allowed for the following: Adult Meals, Non Student Meals, Second Meals, Ala Cart Purchases and Milk.


NOTE * When K-12 Student accounts exceed the allowed 3 meal charges, the student will be offered an alternate meal (Ham and Cheese sandwich, a Washington Apple, Baby Carrot Sticks and a Milk) at no cost, for 1 week. After receiving an alternate meal for 1 week, students will be asked to bring a meal from home as Montrose County School District will no longer provide meals for them until the account balance is up to date.


Non-Discrimination Statement: The U.S. Department of Agriculture ( USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and where applicable political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded the Department.( Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and / or employment activities) If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at at any USDA office or call or call toll free (866) 632-9992 to request a form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director Office of Adjudication 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 by fax (202-690-7442 or e-mail at Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.