Montrose County School District
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE)
Mission and Goals
The mission of Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) in MCSD is twofold: first, to identify students who demonstrate superior aptitude in academics, art, music, the performing arts, leadership, creativity or psychomotor ability; and second, to provide a rigorous educational environment in which students have the opportunity to optimize their academic and affective growth and development.
The goals of GATE in MCSD are:
- To continue to implement the CDE identification processes (found at https://www.cde.state.co.us/gt/giftedidentification).
- To increase identification of GT students from underrepresented groups in our district.
- To develop and implement identification procedures in additional areas (leadership, creativity, music, art, performing arts, and psychomotor ability).
- To hire and retain personnel who are qualified and knowledgeable about gifted education practices, policies, and procedures.
- To support students by working to increase academic rigor, opportunities for interaction with like-minded peers, and education and support for affective needs.
- To expand capacity in the district by providing professional development and support for staff in the area of gifted education.
- To communicate regularly and transparently with stakeholders, including students, parents, staff members, and community members.
- To increase community involvement in our GATE department.