About our District:
- STEM based education at all dristrict schools
- Strategic Plan creation in process to guide the district
- MCSD is 57.4% white; 38.6% Hispanic/Latino
- 50% Free/Reduced and 50% paid lunches
- Combined graduation rate of 92.3%, above the 81.1% state average and high schools offer AP and concurrent enrollment opportunities
- Collaboration with local colleges and universities for student and staff advancement
- Montrose High School has had a state placing band program for several years as well as the 2-year state golf champions in 4A
- Olathe FFA programs are consistent award winners and the school has a strong tradition and culture.
- Peak Virtual Academy has a strong STEM and PBL program, working with CMU and Western Universities as well as all local community businesses
- One to one technology in all grades
- Average graduating class sizes: MHS – 250; OHS – 70; Peak Academy – 30
About our Community:
Montrose County School District RE-1J is located 60 miles from Grand Junction and the I70 corridor and and serves the Montrose and Olathe communities. We are central to the beautiful town of Telluride and the Black Canyon. Skiing, rafting, hiking and camping are just some of the outdoor activities available to residents year-round.
Our thriving community is home to 41,412 neighbors in over 2,200 square miles in the Uncompaghre River and Paradox Valleys. In addition to being the Agricultural hub of the western slope, we are home to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, as well as the Gunnison Gorge National Recreation and Wilderness Areas. The majority of our County is made up of National Forest, Bureau of Land Management or National Park lands. Our main cities include Montrose, Maher, Naturita, Nucla, Olathe and Paradox. With the enticing Black Canyon National Park just to the east, the majestic San Juan Mountains to the south, the Uncompahgre Plateau to the west and Grand Mesa to the north, Montrose is literally surrounded by thrilling opportunities for exploration, adventure, and sight-seeing.
Montrose is home to the Montrose Campus of Colorado Mesa University, as well as the Technical College of the Rockies 20 miles away in Delta. We are located 60 miles from Grand Junction and Gunnison, homes to Colorado Mesa University and Western Colorado University, and 100 miles from Fort Lewis College in Durango.
The community of Montrose participates in all aspects of life and offers a variety of options for religious worship. We are also home to the Montrose Memorial Hospital, San Juan Cancer Center and the Black Canyon Surgical Center as well as many qualified physician and dental offices. The Montrose Regional Airport makes travel to anywhere in the world very convenient.
The 82,000 square foot Community Recreation Center is the biggest and newest on Western Slope of Colorado and provides something for every age and ability and a multitude of interests.
Shopping and dining in Montrose are also a very enjoyable activity. We have wonderful shopping with Target, JC Penny’s, Big 5, Marshalls, Pet Co, Wal-Mart, Natural Grocers and Ross, as well as many local businesses that are sure to have something for everyone. Dining experiences can range from any number of fast food restaurants to fine dining and everything in between.