Skip to main content
Voice Recognition

Meal Modification

Meal Modification

Your child’s school:

1. Will make meal modifications prescribed by a licensed physician to accommodate a disability.

2. Will not make meal modifications prescribed by a medical authority due to a food allergy/intolerance or other medical condition that does not rise to the level of a disability.

3. Will not make substitutions for fluid cow’s milk due to a food allergy/intolerance or for other reasons that does not rise to the level of a disability.

The Medical Statement for Disability- School Meal Modification (SD-1) and Medical Statement to Request School Meal Modification (SD-2) forms are available through your schools Health Services. On the front of each form there are further instructions and information about the meal modifications that can be requested under federal regulations, and the procedures that apply to either an allergy that rises to the level of a disability (SD-1) or an allergy/intolerance that does not rise to the level of a disability (SD-2). Please read this information carefully before completing the appropriate form. Only the types of meal modifications explained in the first paragraph of this letter are applicable to your child’s school.

If you are submitting a request for meal modification while MCSD will make your accommodation a priority, it may take approximately 10 school days from the time the request is received until it can be implemented.  

IMPORTANT: For a student who does have a recognized disability, the only fluid cow’s milk substitutions allowed by USDA are: (1) lactose-free fluid cow’s milk (1% or skim) or

(2) a non-dairy beverage with a nutrient profile equivalent to fluid cow’s milk as specified in federal regulations.


RE-1J Nutrition Services

Non-Discrimination Statement: In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632- 9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by: 1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or 2. fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or 3. email: [email protected] This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 
© 2024. Montrose County School District. All Rights Reserved.